Biological Opinion for City of Hoonah Marine Industrial Center Cargo Dock Project at Hoonah, Alaska
Endangered Species Act (ESA) Section 7(a)(2) Biological Opinion for City of Hoonah Marine Industrial Center Cargo Dock Project at Hoonah, Alaska, (AKRO-2020-03675)
In this document, the action agencies and their proposed actions are :
- Economic Development Administration (EDA) is funding the City of Hoonah’s construction project;
- National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Office of Protected Resources Permits and Conservation Division (PR1) is proposing issuance of an Incidental Harassment Authorization (IHA) to take marine mammals by harassment under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) incidental to construction of the Hoonah Cargo Dock; and
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Alaska District is proposing issuance of a Rivers and Harbors Act Section 10 and Clean Water Act Section 404 permit for the construction of a dock and associated construction activities (POA-1985-00696-M5).
Additional roles and agency involvement include the following:
- The consulting agency for the proposed actions is NMFS’s Alaska Region Protected Resources Division (NMFS AKR);
- The applicant is the City of Hoonah (COH); and
- The non-Federal representative is Solstice Alaska Consulting, Inc. (Solstice).
This document represents NMFS’s biological opinion (opinion) on the effects of this proposal on endangered and threatened species and their designated critical habitat. The opinion and ITS were prepared by NMFS Alaska Region in accordance with section 7(b) of the ESA (16 U.S.C. § 1536(b)), and implementing regulations at 50 CFR part 402. The opinion and ITS are in compliance with the Data Quality Act (44 U.S.C. § 3504(d)(1)) and underwent pre-dissemination review.